Thursday, October 28, 2010

2001 Grand Am Turn Signals Not Working

Apparently, many people that owns a Grand Am have an intermittent problem with the turn signals and hazard lights. So having one myself, I called up GM and they told me to bring the car in to have the car 'diagnosed' and IF it is the turn signal problem, they will fix it for 'free'. I have asked twice whether the diagnostic is free, and the girl on the other line said that even the problem is confirmed, I would have to pay the diagnostic fee. Wouldn't you know it, how much do they change an hour for that?  So I did some research, and found out that the majority of turn signal problem is the hazard switch. A little digging, an I found out it costs about 30 Bucks Canadian to get a replacement, tax in.  So I went off to my little adventure to fix it myself, because it is CHEAPER than the diagnostics. Here's what you have to do to replace the switch.

1. Buy a new hazard switch, I used Dorman 924-605, but it is always better to check with the seller that this is what you need. You can even take out your switch, and bring it to the store and ask for a replacement.

2. Remove the ignition cap in the key slot, I used a flat jewelry screwdriver!
 3. Remove the bezel from the console. Notice the metal clips on the panel below? If you want, put a screwdriver on the side to help you remove it. I didn't use a screwdriver, I just pulled it, and it came right out. The picture below is when the entire bezel is out. you have to disconnect the connectors first. See top view below.

5. once it is off the panel, I just snap the green switch out. I was careful about the black part though. The green part is broken anyways...Then I put everything back and it works great. 




No comments:

Post a Comment